If you use gprMax and publish your work we would be grateful if you could cite our work!
The principal reference for gprMax is  which describes the new version of the software and its main features. If you have used specific elements of the software you might also like to cite:  - GPU accelerated solver,  - soil modelling, rough surfaces;  - dispersive materials;  - advanced features of the RIPML;  - GPR antenna models. If you wish to reference the development history of gprMax you can also cite .
- Warren, C., Giannopoulos, A., & Giannakis, I. (2016). gprMax: Open source software to simulate electromagnetic wave propagation for Ground Penetrating Radar, Computer Physics Communications, 209, 163-170, 10.1016/j.cpc.2016.08.020.
- Warren, C., Giannopoulos, A., Gray, A., Giannakis, I., Patterson, A., Wetter, L., & Hamrah, A. (2018). A CUDA-based GPU engine for gprMax: Open source FDTD electromagnetic simulation software, Computer Physics Communications, 10.1016/j.cpc.2018.11.007.
- Giannakis, I., Giannopoulos, A., Warren, C. (2016). A Realistic FDTD Numerical Modeling Framework of Ground Penetrating Radar for Landmine Detection. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 9(1), 37-51, 10.1109/JSTARS.2015.2468597.
- Giannakis, I., Giannopoulos, A. (2014). A Novel Piecewise Linear Recursive Convolution Approach for Dispersive Media Using the Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 62(5), 2669-2678, 10.1109/TAP.2014.2308549.
- Giannopoulos, A. (2012). Unsplit Implementation of Higher Order PMLs. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 60(3), 1479-1485, 10.1109/TAP.2011.2180344.
- Warren, C., Giannopoulos, A. (2011). Creating finite-difference time-domain models of commercial ground-penetrating radar antennas using Taguchi's optimization method. Geophysics, 76(2), G37-G47, 10.1190/1.3548506.
- Giannopoulos, A. (2005). Modelling ground penetrating radar by GprMax, Construction and Building Materials, 19(10), 755-762, 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2005.06.007.
You can also get references and links to the PhD theses of the development team.
Research using gprMax
gprMax has been successfully used for a diverse range of applications in academia and industry, from fields including engineering, geophysics, archaeology, and medicine. The following table lists publications from 2006-2019 (extracted from Scopus on 21-11-2018) that have cited references  or .